Friday, March 30, 2012

Remember the ';Kapok Tree'; ?

Does anyone remember a restaurant/bar in Ft. Lauderdale called ';The Kapok Tree'; ?? Wasn%26#39;t sure if that is the entire name or not. Back in 1976, my buddies and I drove from Michigan to Ft.Lauderdale and found this place. It had gardens, statues, and can%26#39;t remember what else. We ended up buying a tropical drink and a souvenir glass. But the next time we went down for Spring Break in about 1978, I think it disappeared.



Does anyone remember this place and what the address was?



You can email me at :dgwiz@aol.com



thanks !!!



Remember the ';Kapok Tree'; ?


There were two Kapok Tree restaurants in Florida I remember. One was very near the present location of Flamingo Gardens off the then 2 lane Flamingo Road.





From the beach. we took US Rt one to L on Griffin ( also then a 2 lane road-past Tropical Acres) and turned right onto Flamingo. When we neared Flamingo Gardens ( the Wray House, where they grew %26amp; developed citrus, sold to a company called United Fruit Co. out of Port Everglades and also sold via their stands called Alexs Groves), we turned left onto I think was 39th court ( or something).





About one mile into the forest (?) there was this big mansion of a place with lakes, pools, and several rooms with dining.





There was also one in the Clearwater Area. If you Goggle, you will find Pix and an article about the family who ran them (I think there were more than 2...not sure).





It seems the one in Clearwater area ( I think Maderia Beach) is still used for weddings and other functions.





If you go to the Davie website (City of Davie)....they mention the land of the Kapok Tree Restaurant and Pioneer Village are considered environmentally not stable???





But when I drive by the area now....it really looks like there are many housing developments in the area.





It was advertised as Ft Lauderdale, but was in Davie.



Remember the ';Kapok Tree'; ?


I do remember The Kapok Tree ! We had our prom there back in the early 80s. I happen to live near there now too and it is long gone. They are making the area a preserve that so far is not open to the public and I think the tree itself is gone too.



It was in Davie off of Flamingo Road and 26th Street.




There was also ( for a very short time) a Kapok Tree in Deltona when that community was brand new build by the Deltona Builders....same who developed Marco Island.





When I was stationed in Dover AFB, Del., in the early 60s, there were a few restaurants called Peter Pan (I think maybe diners) in MD %26amp; Del.





They were owned by the family who also owned those majestic palaces called the Kapok Tree (INN) in Florida.





This site has some info %26amp; pixs, but of the one either in Clearwater or Maderia.





Once when I was looking for info for some poster on the Coral Tides Timeshare in Pompano, we found post card offered on E bay with pixs of that ocean front motel, 1940s or 50s.....and in the lot of postcards was a Kapok Tree card ( I think from Davie).





http://www.kapokspecialevents.com/home.html





Another link can be found with the history of the family, and the story of the Kapok Tree Inns ( Restaurants)




I remember the Kapok tree.As a teenager while visiting with my aunt and under in the mid 70%26#39;s, they took my family to Busch Gardens for the day. We had supper that evening on the way back to their home at the Kapok Tree.



I remember getting a ';virgin'; tropical drink with the little umbrella in the glass and feeling like an adult. The restaurant was rather exotic and unlike anyplace I had even been to before.




I remember the kapok Tree as we ate in Ft. Lauderdale often at it what a grand time it was have they closed them all i wanted to take my daughter, i know that the one is located just off alligator alley




I found this old photo of the one in Clearwater- looks a lot like the Lauderdale location and may bring back memories. The post says the facility is now used for weddings etc- but I am not sure that post is current. I think I%26#39;ll post in the Clearwater Forum and ask the locals.





http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/6886c/




I remember having dinner at the one in Clearwater with my family back in the 70%26#39;s. It was AWESOME! They had a big beautiful Kapok Tree with a vine like trunk like some of the trees I saw in Costa Rica.I remember the food being great and my favorite thing was fritters covered in confectioners sugar. I just looked it up on the internet hoping it was still there so maybe my husband and I could take a trip down there but sadly it is gone. We drove 700 miles to eat at the Dillard House in Dillard GA which is also a unique experiance that is still in business. We also love the Columbia but there will never be anything as Magical as the Kapok Tree Inn!




How funny! I spent hours one night trying to find the Kapok tree inn. My parents took me there in the 70%26#39;s. It was a big event as my father had business in Florida so we flew from Kansas to Ft. Lauderdale and then ended the trip at Disney World. I must have been in the 1st grade. I remember the place completly as it seemed huge to me then and very magical. Sad to hear that it is no longer around.




Would you believe inquired in the Clearwater Forum about the Kapok Tree there ( the original of which ours was a clone) and I learned it is now a music store ( Sam Ash). The poster thought the garden is still next door to it and that weddings sometimes take place there. My how times change!




Another poster on the Clearwater Forum says the KT building is still thereand can be rented fro special events. She referred me to this website:





http://www.kapokspecialevents.com/home.html





Gorgeous photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment