Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Best way to take money?

Hello again.





I have decided to take people%26#39;s advice and get my dollars asap to take advantage of the good rates at the moment, but what is your advice for the best and safest way to carry it? I was assuming travellers cheques were the only way to go but I have been told that lots of people use cards that they save money onto and there is no charge for using them abroad.





I know that there is usually a charge for these cards but as I would have to pay a commission on travellers cheques, which would work out the cheapest option? Also the card I was looking at from the Post Office, you save money in pounds, therefore I would presumably get whatever the exchange rate is at the time of my holiday and would not be able to take advantage of the favourable rates at the moment.





For safety reasons I do not want to take large amounts of cash with me, although I will change up a small amount into dollars to carry with me.





Are there any other options available to me, any advice will be much appreciated.



Best way to take money?


i%26#39;ve never paid commission on travellers checks. they are the best bet as well as some cash(a few hundred dollars) and don%26#39;t forget a few cards just in case..



Best way to take money?


You do not need to pay commision on TC`s and will probably get the best local rate at M%26amp;S, certainely better than the post office.



I have always used TC`s with no problems at all and only take a small ammount of cash with me.




I%26#39;ve never paid commission for travellers cheques either. I always take the bulk of our spending money in travellers cheques as you can use them just like cash.





I did use my Visa card one time after checking rates, charges etc and found it worked out about the same as TC and cash.





Every card is different though so double check all the terms and conditions.




If you are ordering over 拢500 worth of currency, you don%26#39;t ususally pay either for commision or delivery if you order online. I usally take some of each, but only get Amex TCs as they are the ones most frequently taken w/o bother.





I usually use M %26amp; S, or Crown Currency. CC gives a better deal, but you have to give then your money in advance.




I travel around Scotland and NE England with my job and M%26amp;S offering best rate I%26#39;ve seen on the High Street.




I just returned and used my Nationwide debit card and credit card which dont charge a fee to use and you also gain from the better rate which the banks get.





I couldnt believe how americans use there cards for everything even a few dollars





We were in Busch gardens getting lunch and a lady payed for a slice of pizza, $2.95 or something with a credit card




I change up 拢2000 the day before yesterday and got 2.025, all in cash. I don%26#39;t bother with TC unless i%26#39;m moving around a lot + you get a better rate for cash.




If you have a card that genuinely doesn%26#39;t charge any fees then you are quids in because the rate they use will generally be the ';headline rate'; you see quoted on the money markets. The ';tourist rate'; quoted on the High Street is generally a good few cents lower.





But again, I%26#39;d ask anyone thinking of using their card to double check. I%26#39;ve heard so many stories of people getting stung by ';hidden'; charges - especially when using ATMs




I too use a Nationwide debit card at ATMs. Only pay a small fee at the US ATMs as they all seem to charge.





I will take some dollars. Using Crown currency to take advantage of the exchange rates.




I only went to an ATM the once and to be honest i dont know if i got charged for using it or not

No comments:

Post a Comment