Thursday, April 12, 2012

How many other trip-planners go through this?

You are a super-planner. Perhaps you have plenty of time, perhaps you are trying desparately to save money and know that the internet is the boon to budget-savvy travelers. Perhaps travel-planning is your hobby. Perhaps, like me, you are bored stiff at work...





But how many others are there out there that embark on this task of planning a vacation, only to have your loved one(s) happily dump every single iota of responsibility for choices on you? You patiently ask:



%26#39;Would you like to go week A or week B?';



';I don%26#39;t care, I can get any week off.';



';Would you like to go upscale or budget?';



';You know what we can afford better than me...';



';Would you like to rent a car or go public transportation?';



';Whatever is easier.';



';Would you like to stay in the park or outside?';



';Whatever you want.';



';Do you want to look at tour plans to figure out which day is best for what?';



';I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ve got it all under control...';



';Do you want to reserve a restaurant/character breakfast/show/event?';



';Whatever you want...';





And then as the days fast appoach, and ALL the plans are made, this conversation takes place:



';Mom, how soon do we need to get to the airport to make sure we sit together?';



';I booked seats online, dear.';



';How are we getting to the airport with five of us?';



';I%26#39;ve reserved a long-term parking spot, dear. We can take the van and not have someone drive us.';



';Isn%26#39;t parking there expensive?';



';Got a 25% off coupon off the net, dear.';



';Mom, where are we staying as I think M (her 6 yr old son) will need to take breaks in the afternoon.';



';All set dear, we are 4 miles/8 minutes away from the MK.';



';Mom, I think we%26#39;ll need to plan for breakfasts in the room so we can get an early start most days, is there a mini-fridge in the room?';



';All set dear, we are in a suite with a full kitchen.';



';Mom, what is the phone number I should call to order MNSSHP tickets? Someone at work said they sell out early and now I think I need to order them right away.';



';All set dear, I ordered them last week, we are going on the Friday night...';



';Then does that mean we have to stay at MK all day? Should we get Park Hopper passes?';



';All set dear, instead I ordered 5 day passes so that morning we can go to one of the other parks, go back to the hotel, take a swim and a nap, and then go to the party.';



';He wants to go to SeaWorld, too, where can we get tic-';



';Got %26#39;em, dear.';



';Rental Car?';



';Got it.';



';Size? You know we%26#39;ll be crowded in a -';



';Full size, dear. Expedia special.';



';What%26#39;s Expedia?';



';It%26#39;s a website.... oh, never mind....';





But if I had waited for her, nothing would be done less than two weeks before the trip. (In daughter%26#39;s defense, she is in the middle of buying a house and moving so she is preoccupied. However, almost this exact same conversation takes place with my husband when we travel, as well. Grrrrr.



How many other trip-planners go through this?


i always plan in advance at the moment i have my next 3 trips planned



How many other trip-planners go through this?


We plan 1 year out (already booked all trips for 2008) and think 2 years out (debating which cruise/land alaska trip in 2009 we will take) and brainstorm 3 years out (2010 is down to Ireland, Spain or Hawaii)




Hi





Listen, you have control use it. So what if your daughter is moving home she should be able to multi task the same as the rest us women. Stop molly coddling them as they are not kids . Give them a choice and a deadline to make their minds up.. Then give them a list of what%26#39;s happening and tell them to stop whining - it%26#39;s your vacation too.





If they want to eat breakfast in tell them you will meet them at Denny%26#39;s - who wants to wash up your on holiday - I bet they won%26#39;t be eating in once you have gone to Dennys! Try and get away from them for an hour of you time by the pool etc. Tell them they are sitting on the plane where seats are allocated and if they have to sit away from you for the journey I%26#39;d look on that as a bonus - the selfish lot. Sorry, I am not being hard but some of you set yourself up to being treated like the all knowing oracle and trouble shooter. Stop it and have a great vacation - make sure you do!





Cheryl-Berkshire




willowtree you have my full sympathy, I plan and book all the holidays (I do think it%26#39;s part of the fun though), even when I give my husband choices he asks which my favourite is and goes with that. We are also booked a good year in advance but I find it%26#39;s the only way to get discounts, free child places and to be able to stay exactly where you want. I booked for next March in October 2006, the same holiday is 拢500 dearer now..... and some companies don%26#39;t even have flights available for this time next year. It%26#39;s worth all the hassle to plan well.




I love to plan our trips. My husband never gives me any help when I ask for his input and then questions everything I have done when we are ready to leave. I plan WAAAAAY ahead also. I have a trip to Vegas planned for dh, myself and 39 of our friends in December, then our family trip in February 08. I love to bargain shop and like to get the most out of my dollar without staying in a fleabag motel. I think the internet is a marvelous tool and am surprised that in this day and age US travel agents can even stay in business with the likes of Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Kayaak, Tripres.com, Cheapotravel, and this wonderful website.




I actually got laughed at twice recently ( in a nice way ) by Italian hotel receptionists when I telephoned to book for next July. They thought it was so funny I was booking so far in advance!




Ahh Willowtree59 where would our families be without our advance planning and networking here on Tripadvisor?



I plan all our trips, this year planning a villa holiday in Orlando for hubbie, self, daughter %26amp; her partner using advise gleaned from this forum.



I am our Travel Agent as far as my husband is concerned, he even asked me to book a holiday for my own 50th (poor man tried but was bamboozled by too many choices).



I%26#39;ve saved us a bundle along the way, learned years ago not to take the car offered by tour operators, also know it can be cheaper with a schedule than a charter, especially from Scotland. book all our accommodation on the net or use coupon books when travelling.



I even print of the maps and directions, all he has to do is drive as I even do the packing!. I am also responsible for navigating, he says he%26#39;s too busy watching the road and other drivers to look for road signs but this year after 27yrs of visiting Miami, he finally got the hang of the road system!



This year I%26#39;ve organised our holiday to Florida, a few days in London %26amp; Newcastle and our daughter%26#39;s flights around the World however, she has learnt from her old mum and has organised all her accommodation herself using my resources so sometimes, left to themselves they can do it.



Sit back when you get there and enjoy yourself.



Rettie




Willow, I can sympathise with you....there%26#39;s nothing more frustrating than having to be the person who always has to think ahead and make all the decisions for everyone.





leaves me questioning - isn%26#39;t it kind of like the question from your spouse that you get asked after walking through the door after a long day at work - ';Mom, what are we having for dinner?'; with that expectant pause after the question. Kinda makes you want to say ';Pizza - be a love and go pick it up';.




I can so empathise - I always arrange our holidays. We reach a consensus on the destination then I take over: I book the flights, accomodation, car hire and research the area until I know everything there is to know about out. Nearer the date, I do all the holiday shopping and packing etc.



My husband and teens literally just %26#39;turn up%26#39; on departure day!!



Sometimes I wish someone else would have a turn and all I had to do was turn up. However, I can%26#39;t escape the fact that , deep down inside, I%26#39;m a control freak and wouldn%26#39;t entrust such a responsibility to anyone else!!!




Willowtree - your post really made me laugh! I know Im going to have similar conversations with my husband and children, they are so lucky to have us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment