Saturday, April 21, 2012

Key west Culinary Tour: Saturday: Last Moments in Paradise

After I picked up my wife%26#39;s last cafe con leche at Sandy%26#39;s Cafe, I was released to go to breakfast while she packed for our trip home. I went to Pepes , having always planned to make my beloved Bight the last thing I did in Key West. I followed the advice of reading the menu before I came and wanting the french toast with fruit or the steak omelet before ordering the daily special, which was a shrimp and crab omelet, three inches think, four inches wide, six inches in length. An amazing dish, packed with tons of seafood. The bread of the day was blueberry. I got coffee which was great and ordered a mimosa, since they were mentioned in so many restaurant reviews and I had never had one. I was kind of afraid Captain cause I didn%26#39;t know if they were a girly drink or not. (They didn%26#39;t have an umbrella.) lol I thought it was refreshing regardless. If my first day had been breakfast here, I don%26#39;t know if I would have been able to pry myself away to try breakfast elsewhere.





One other funny thing. All week long I kept seeing men I thought might be one of you. Sometimes I asked, but sometimes not. I figured I would find out the answer on Friday. But Friday came and I wound up not meeting up with any of you, although I did at least engage in conversations with many locals. Like at the Tower Bar when you weren%26#39;t there I met the guy who was doing maintenance on the condo and had a drink with him. And on those morning stops at Sandys, I kept thinking is that Q or Bruce. Well, come Saturday morning at Pepes where I was at before its opening and seeing many locals also lined up, and upon entering and finding this one cool guy who was with his dog and obviously a local who sat with three guys who were tourists and was telling this funny, long story and including me in his audience, I decided to get up and introduce myself when he finished. I was sure it was Bruce or Q. I rose he rose at the same time and already had his hand out to shake mine. I asked do you post on TripAdvisor? He replied, absolutely not! Is this something I should do? I explained that it was an internet site where locals give travel advice to people planning on visiting. He said that he usually gave bad advice, but that on the rare occasions it was good, he charged for it. LOL





On the way back to the condo, I made my final trip to Sandy%26#39;s Cafe, this time to get us a cuban mix to take to the airport. Thanks Bruce, Q and Arnie! This time Ruth said, now that is what I call a cuban mix sandwich!





Thank you all for your suggestions, which made this my best vacation ever. It was truly a week in paradise. I can die a happy man. But I hope to live to see you all again. DIET! smile



Key west Culinary Tour: Saturday: Last Moments in Paradise


Wow, you are the postess with the mostess.





PJ



Key west Culinary Tour: Saturday: Last Moments in Paradise


My goodness. If I ate all the food you folks did, I%26#39;d be either in the hospital having a quadruple bypass or in the morgue. LOL





I%26#39;m glad you had a good time!




Okay... You have me rethinking my stand on a fully planned Key West vacation! One of the best trip reports I%26#39;ve read and yes.... You guys have to get back as soon as possible!




I LOVE THESE REPORTS!!!! I thought about you guys all week and how you were doing. So when do we get to start helping with the next trip???? I am curious.......have you done this type of thing in other cities?




I love them too, getting a very fresh restaurant report is nice for everyone. I loved how every place you walked into became the ';best'; place. Glad you got to meet Alice, she%26#39;s sweet. Sorry we didn%26#39;t get together......next time!




I%26#39;m so glad that you had a wonderful vacation in Key West. I loved reading your reports! Thanks for sharing and please come back again. It was so much fun helping you plan your dining extravaganza!





Limey




Thanks guys. I am glad you enjoyed them. It was fun doing the things I wrote about and fun reporting them. You don%26#39;t know how great it was to see Arnie%26#39;s post just saying welcome back ybbhomeless! Wow, how special is that? No, Arnie, I have never done this for any other city. I have never had another trip that concentrated this much on food, although it has always been a great pleasure on all my vacations. One, I think there are few places that have the great restaurants Key West has to offer in so concentrated an area. Two, all my vacations are different wherever they are, including when I return to an area. And three, I only discovered TripAdvisor on this trip and what a great forum to initiate me, filled with the greatest posters. Like I said even when I found TripAdvisor , I read everything on the site first before I even ventured into the forum. The humor and helpfulness I experienced here kept me coming back daily all the many months from the time in February when my daughter invited us til now. And you all contributed so much to the experience. I in turn wanted to give some of that back to future visitors with my experiences. I surely hope to return someday but the next trip won%26#39;t be a culinary tour. I am not one for repeating the same things that much. Returns I make to any area, I make sure are vastly different experiences each time. But I do love returning to the same areas over and over. We went to Toronto five straight years because I loved it there. We have visited New Orleans three times; New York City three times: Orlando half a dozen times; Key West three times; Memphis for the first time last year, but I am dying to go back there. We have taken one cruise and would like to do that again some time. Those things are about all the real traveling we have done. And we want to do them all again sometime. Next year for our 40th, we are thinking about San Francisco for the first time, and for me the places I have been and that one are about the only places I care to visit. Just more return trips among those places for me. But as I said my 7 days this time in Key West are the best seven days of vacationing I have ever experienced and I can%26#39;t wait to return.




It%26#39;s wonderful to read a trip report that doesn%26#39;t focus on Duval.





Sorry we missed you on Friday evening. Hope you come back soon.


  • blue eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment