Sunday, April 15, 2012

My mate Glen

My mate Glen took his wife and 6 year old to Orlando about 3 years ago. I gave him some advice on how to cope with it all and off he went. Three weeks later I asked him about the fun of Florida and he was not impressed at all and he has not been back. I could not understand his indifference but he went on about it all being a scam and being milked at every turn.





I simply did not recognise this as any holiday in the States that I had ever been on. Lately, however, I am beginning to see more criticisms coming in of the Orlando experience. I am not going to go into detail but these are some of the criticisms made by friends and clients ... ring any bells?





International Drive not worthy of such an important tourist resort.



Dirty and at times scary.





Irlo Bronson Highway 192 equally tacky and lacking any theme or planning. Too long and not enough quality.





Queues too long in Disney - should limit the numbers to make rides accessible. Expensive for the number of rides you get. Magic weaqring a bit thin





Parks do not update quickly enough - same rides - many of which are out of date - should be the cutting edge in World of Theme park Entertainment.





Clients felt as if they did not have value for money.





Too many people demanding handouts - list of those to be tipped continues to extend. Evidence on TA quoted back to me where server chased non tipper down street.





American attitudes to tourists less welcoming than previously. (If you don%26#39;t like it don%26#39;t come)





Security at airports is too severe and long winded.





Worst recent criticism is that despite the good exchange rate these people felt that it was an expensive holiday because there are so many hidden charges. Examples being : - car hire add ons, tips at all meals and valet parking etc, high parking costs at the theme parks, florida taxes, increased US fuel charges, increasing costs of accommodation for no apparent reasons, fuel duties imposed by UK Government. While I do not agree with all of these criticisms there is an element of truth in there.





I really love going to Florida and I love the people. I think I would still go if the pound was at parity to the dollar but there should be more planning in Orlando to keep standards up because it does not take much to bring about a lack of confidence in a product and then people will stay away in their droves - look at disney Paris.



My mate Glen


Vegas





Is your friend a troll? Or are you just wasting everyones time again?



My mate Glen


Get lost Jeeni of ireland - this is my most sensible thread for light years and you spoil it by rubbishing my motives. i am surprised at you. I am positive about orlando and unless you are critical standards begin to slip. We should demand more for our money not less. You have to admit they are taking profits without thinking about how to improve the client experience. they have milked Orlando for 20 years and we let them.





just look at how many prices have been lifted up in the last year and continue to be hiked as we speak.




Oh god! I%26#39;m going in 4 days and am now thoroughlt depressed. Thanks!




Oh how quickly you change when someone dares to disagree with you. What you are saying may well be true Vegas but be a man and come out %26amp; say what you mean.



Hiding behind your so called friend!



What age are you?




Children! Be Nice!!





Vegas - what you say is true but they are the reaction of someone visiting Orlando for the 3rd. 4th....7th.....time.





When The Magic hits you, the detailed criticisms count for nothing. But if you keep going back you are asking for trouble.





There is a whole world out there, even within Florida. Why go back to the Land of the Rat?




So...the likes of Travel City Direct are paying top dollar for the accomodation they are selling in their brochure....I dont think so.





If they are selling to the customer cheap, then they are paying the bottom rate, is it any wonder the Orlando scene has gone downhill?





If you can get 2 weeks in orlando with villa %26amp; car for a similar price to Spain or Greece, then it will become just like those places.





If we stay on the Gulf of mexico, we get a more attentive service because it is detracted from the ';mini UK'; that is Orlando!




I think it鈥檚 a very good post Vegas.





I love the Florida, and yes, I enjoy all the tacky things that go with it. People who know me on this site are well aware of what I think of International Dive. I was very unimpressed and did feel nervous at times.





Again, I don鈥檛 want to open a large can of worms but the tipping can drive you mad. I tip when I think the service is good and the better the service and food the better the tip. I do this in England, Ireland and Europe. So why not Florida? To be expected just to tip because it鈥檚 the way things are done is laughable.





How was your meal sir? Rubbish.





How was the service? Rubbish.





Can I get you anything else sir? No.





Your bill is $20.00 sir. Do you require any change out of this $50.00 bill? Hell Ya. (That鈥檚 the one I hate the most. Trying to make you feel guilty)





As I said above. I love Florida. But nowhere is perfect. Like Vegas I fear the place could be left behind.





Although it is just one big building site at present I believe in 2 years time I will be off to Dubai and they will have everything Florida has and plenty more besides. If people disagree, you want to look at some of the websites and watch some of the documentaries on sky. I can鈥檛 wait to see the place.





At present it is expensive to go but once all these new hotels are built and more airliners fly there it will be so much cheaper.





I look forward to seeing you all on the Dubai forum in 2 / 3 years




We%26#39;ve been going to Orlando area for 20 years or so. Things I%26#39;ve learned along the way:



Don%26#39;t stay in hotels, instead rent a nice townhouse or pool home.



Don%26#39;t stay on I Drive, stay in west Kissimmee off 192 or in Davenport.



Always rent a car so you don%26#39;t have to depend on someone elses schedule.



Plan lots of time off from theme parks to enjoy yourself.



Avoid timeshare presentations like the plague.



Go in low or moderate season not high. I know this gets into the whole school holiday thing but whatever.



I guess you have to take some price hikes in stride but I don%26#39;t think they need to raise the price of parking at all or even charge for it.



Right now our dollar is at par with US$ which is great for us traveling.



But a few years ago it cost us over $1.50 to get $1. US. You guys have nothing to moan about.



Don%26#39;t go expecting perfection, you won%26#39;t find it there or anywhere you go.



I know those going for the first time want to cram everything they can into their vacation but it sometimes makes for a lot of stress and disillusionment.



That%26#39;s my two cents worth, now I%26#39;ll shut up.




hi vinny!!





you will love dubai its all glitz, glamour and razzle dazzle, just like the all in one you sported for your come back tour.





went there as a suprise for my 40th a couple of uears back, just hubby and i,it was unabandoned luxury and if you look at my dubai posting i too will go back once the backdrop is less congested with cranes, it will take another 15 years or so to get in upto the lasvegas standards im told, we email friends who live out their and it really is moving at an amazing pace.





we toured the palms project which is breathtaking a definite go see in my opinion.




Jenni,





Clearly a troll report. It starts %26#39; 3 years ago%26#39; .





It is however his most lucid piece in the 2 years I have read and enjoyed his ramblings, perhaps it a form of old age, this has suddenly been remembered from a time when intelligent posting were his norm?





That said, a holiday to Florida is still cheaper than one of equivalent quality anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment