Sunday, April 15, 2012

Silly Golf Question

Any recommendations for reasonably priced golf courses in the West Palm Beach area? I%26#39;m starting to research for my trip next month. I think $60 per person is the max we%26#39;d want to pay. We%26#39;re staying at the Marriott Ocean Pointe, and bringing our own clubs. Thanks.



Silly Golf Question


eddie



have you looked into pga national?



Silly Golf Question


Unfortunately I know NOTHING about golf. I do know some of the resorts will be very expensive. There are several public courses down here that are suppossed to be nice. I would try and google them.




I%26#39;ve looked into PGA National before. Last I checked, it was a bit out of my price range for any of the courses.





I googled a couple of years ago, the last time I was there. We never actually made it out for a round, though. I%26#39;ll certainly. Just wanted to see if anyone had any good first hand experiences at a reasonable place. I vaguely remember a course we were considering in North Palm Beach last time, but had no real info on it, besides knowing it was in our price range.





Never really thought to check if there are any FL resident discount rates at these places. That might help.




You might be referring to the public course in North Palm Beach (on us1). They just finished a gazillion dollar refurb arnold palmer course. As it%26#39;s public, I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s affordable. I haven%26#39;t played there yet, but I heard it%26#39;s beautiful. And i believe marriot ocean pointe is actually on singer island (could be wrong) so you would be very very close to this course




If you%26#39;re going next month, you%26#39;ll still find all sorts of ';Summer'; deals...pick up a paper or a brochure for the latest info. You%26#39;ll also find some great deals at nice courses after 2:00 or so....





Here is a list of some courses with links to their sites:



palmbeachfl.com/visitors/…golf.aspx





For a fun time...try the Par 3 out on Palm Beach....great views, and a good time:





http://www.golfontheocean.com/





Fun for a quick morning round if you get a deal at another course for a later tee-time.....better than warming up at the range.




A little further south here in Ft. Lauderdale the Monday Sun Sentinel newspaper sports section usually has several discount coupons and ads- so maybe if you can get a Sun Sentinel or a Palm Beach Post on a Monday you can locate some bargains. I know that in north Boca Raton, the Red Reef Park has a public course , but it may be executive length. As I write this BF is playing at Palm Aire in Pompano Beach- a bit of a drive south for you, but right off a Turnpike exit- they usually have some of the bargain rates in the Sun Sentinel.




That dollar figure doesn%26#39;t buy much public golf in the WPB area unfortunately...try TeeTimesUSA (www.teetimesusa.com I think) and see what they%26#39;ve got for Palm Beach County. They usually have better deals than you can work on your own. They%26#39;ve got a couple of private/semi-private course deals that will be less crowded than a normal public course as well.





You might try twilight at Abacoa in Jupiter; otherwise North Palm Beach muni is your best bet and it%26#39;s kinda short and dinky. West Palm Beach Country Club is a muni further south that is a full-sized course. That would definitely fit your budget but it%26#39;s a drive from Singer Island..




Wherever you play, be sure to ask about their greens - a lot of courses in this aereate their greens this time of year, making for frustration. North Palm%26#39;s course is good and they%26#39;ve just finished it, so would probably not be a problem.




Thanks to all who responded! StuartF%26#39;s comment about Abacoa jogged my memory; I%26#39;d looked at it a couple of years ago. So we played it last Tuesday, though not all of it. We actually got out for $35 a person including cart, which was well within the budget parameters. About the 11th hole it started raining again (it was raining at 7:10 am when we pulled up to the course) and after hitting some bad shots on #12 and looking at some ominous skies coming, we decided to pack it in, though we did end up playing 18. We probably could%26#39;ve gotten more in, but my dad doesn%26#39;t play well on vacation anymore anyway, and my right arm was hurting, and though I enjoyed the first part of the round, the holes were starting to look the same a little bit. My dad prefers spending time on the beach now (he plays a lot on his home course, but this has made him only worse when he ventures from it lately); the fact that we played golf on what ended up being the only real bad weather day he was down there fit nicely in his plans.





Pluses: gorgeous clubhouse, some elevation changes, price, and decent staff, from what we saw, easy to get to.





Minuses: rough was long, lost a few balls in it (they said it was for tournaments they were hosting) holes did start to look the same after a while





I would probably go back, especially with the rate we got. Although we might look somewhere else for a different golfing experience in the future. I drove by North Palm Beach GC twice, but both times at night. That was the other one seriously considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment